Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Roasted Maple Chipotle Sweet Potato Bites with Cilantro Lime Topping

Yum
Athens Mini Fillo Shells puts on a monthly recipe contest and last month I tried my hand at this fun little contest! I combined some of my favorite sweet and spicy flavors for my entry and was excited when I found out I was picked as one of the monthly winners!  
Roasted Maple Chipotle Sweet Potato Bites with Cilantro Lime Topping
Monthly Winner - Mini Fillo Shells Make It Fancy and Fun Recipe Contest
 
2 cups peeled fresh sweet potato, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 Tablespoon chipotle hot sauce
2 Tablespoons half and half
1 box Athens Mini Fillo Shells
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 Tablespoon thinly sliced green onion tops
 
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
In a small mixing bowl, toss together the cubed sweet potato, olive oil, pepper, salt, cumin and garlic powder. Pour the mixture onto a foil-lined cookie sheet and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are browned and tender.
Once the potatoes have roasted, remove them from the oven and reduce the heat in the oven to 350 degrees.
Place the roasted potatoes back in the same mixing bowl and add the shredded cheese, maple syrup, chipotle hot sauce and half and half. Using a fork, mash the mixture together until fully combined.
Place the Fillo Shells on a cookie sheet and spoon an equal amount of the sweet potato mixture into each one. Place them in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
While the Shells are baking, stir together the lime juice, cilantro and green onion tops in a small mixing bowl.
When the Shells have finished baking, remove them from the oven, top with the cilantro mixture and serve immediately.
 
I'm a little picky when it comes to how I like my sweet potatoes. I love them roasted, or with sweet and spicy southwest flavors but I will pass on the marshmallow pecan super sweet version every time. I was glad the judges liked my version of a bite sized holiday appetizer! If you'd like to try your hand at this fun contest, go to their website and look at what theme they are asking for that month and enter away! I entered their request for Super Bowl Party Recipes for the month of January and would love any ratings or comments you could leave for my Beer Cheese Pigskin Poppers
Little crispy cups loaded with crispy bacon, beer and cheese. What more could you want while cheering on your favorite team?!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I just started liking sweet potatoes a few years ago, mainly because I only had them with sweet marshmallows at Thanksgiving - love sweet potato fries and I've even made sweet potato ravioli!

    http://www.mybizzykitchen.com/2012/11/25/sweet-potato-ravioli/

    Congrats on another win! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Biz!! The ravioli look great, but what's really calling my name is your Sweet Potato Wontons with Spicy Asian Dipping Sauce!! Gotta try that soon!

      Delete

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...