Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Creamy Cabbage Soup

Yum
Last week I showed you the pile of produce we caught at the St Patrick's Day parade and this soup was my kid's favorite meal made from all of our goodies! I saw a recipe for Creamy Cabbage Soup on pinterest, and as usual, made some changes to it and it came out great! I love Havarti cheese and I think the dill was delicious in this! This could easily be made meat free and would be perfect on a cold night
 
Creamy Cabbage Soup
(recipe adapted from here) 8 slices bacon
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrot
1 cabbage, shredded
6 cups chicken broth
1 12 sticks butter
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
6 ounces Havarti cheese with dill, cubed
12 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon dill
1 teaspoon white pepper
 
Cook bacon in a large soup pot over medium high heat, remove when crisp and place on paper towels to drain. Add the onion, celery, carrot and cabbage and sauté until soft. Add broth and simmer for 30 min. While vegetables are cooking make sauce as follows: Melt butter in medium saucepan; stir in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk and remaining 11/2 cups broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
Add cheese, thyme, dill and white pepper.
When cheese has melted, add to vegetable mixture and stir well. Add crumbled bacon and serve
I also have exciting news to share!! I just found out that the little slider I made a few months ago won a runner up prize for "Best Mexican Themed Recipe"!!! I will have an iPad Mini, 16GB w/Wi-Fi delivered to me soon! Now I just need to figure out how to keep my kids from taking it over first...
Black bean dip (I made mine but feel free to use store bought)

Chipotle hot sauce
 warm Hawaiian Slider Buns
1 small can Mexicorn
 Cotija cheese
Mayonnaise
 Cilantro
2 ripe Avocados from Mexico
 Crushed tortilla chips
 Pickled red onions (I made my own but you can certainly use store bought)
 
To make these, make sure you start with cold ripe avocados, they stick together best when they're cold. These are super easy to make and Just season and taste as you go!
Stir together the black bean dip and chipotle hot sauce and spread on the bottoms of the slider buns. Combine the mexicorn, cotija cheese, mayonnaise and cilantro in a small bowl and spoon on top of the bean spread. Coarsely mash the avocados, season with salt and pepper and form into small patties. Roll avocado patties into the crushed tortilla crumbs and place patties on the buns. Top with pickled red onions and serve immediately. 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...