Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pretzel Crunch

Yum
If you know me at all or have ever visited this blog before 
you are aware of my obsession with the salty and sweet combo I so love
So naturally when I saw the recipe for this Malted Pretzel Toffee from Momofuku Milk Bar on epicurious
I just had to try it
And I am SO GLAD I did!
It is pretty simple to make, especially when you compare it to the other extremely labor intensive recipes found in Momofuku's Milk Bar Cookbook

It's crunchy, sweet, malty, salty, buttery bliss.
And it definitely deserves a better name than plain 'ole Pretzel Crunch, don't you think?
2 cups mini pretzels 
1/4 cup tightly packed light brown sugar 
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup milk powder  
1 tablespoon malt powder
7 tablespoons butter, melted 

Heat the oven to 275°F.
Pour the pretzels in a medium bowl and crush them with your hands to one-quarter of their original size. Add the milk powder, malt powder, sugar, and salt and toss to mix. Add the butter and toss to coat. As you toss, the butter will act as glue, binding the dry ingredients to the pretzels and creating small clusters.
Spread the clusters on a Silpat-lined sheet pan and bake for 20-30 minutes, at which point they should look toasted, smell buttery, and crunch gently when cooled slightly and chewed.
Cool the pretzel crunch completely before storing or using in a recipe. Stored in an airtight container at room temperature, the crunch will keep fresh for 1 week; in the fridge or freezer, it will keep for 1 month.
(I promise, it will not last long enough to require refrigeration)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...