Monday, March 7, 2011

Happy Lundi Gras

Yum
Today is Lundi Gras; the day before Mardi Gras and to celebrate, I made one of our favorite dinners: Red Beans and Rice. It is a delicious homey combo of andouille sausage, red kidney beans and is perfect when served with cornbread. The ingredient list is simple, but the key is the andouille. I really think it is the one thing that can make or break this dish. Every time people come to Austin to visit me they bring andouille since I have not been able to find one that I like in Texas. If anyone knows of a good one, I'd love to hear about it!

Red Beans and Rice

1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds andouille sausage, diced
3 onions, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound dried red kidney beans that have been soaked in cold water over night
2 bay leaves
1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper

In a large dutch oven heat the oil over medium high heat. Add andouille and cook until brown and crisp. Add onion and celery and saute 5 minutes. Add red beans, bay leaves and 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil, partially cover and reduce heat until beans are just at a simmer. Cook for 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add parsley, green onion, salt and pepper and cook for an additional 2 hours. Serve over steamed white rice with cornbread on the side.

The breakfast bread I made this week was Lemon Blueberry Scones. Not overly sweet, but very flaky and a hint of lemon that pairs beautifully with the blueberries. The kids loved them, and I think I'll be playing around with different variations of this. I think a maple flavored scone with crumbled bacon on top might be perfect!

And here it is again...
You knew it was coming, didn't you?
Please vote for my "Jerk Fish Taco" on facebook. There is only 8 more days left of the contest and there is no limit to the amount of votes one person enters (In case you wanted to vote numerous times while watching The Bachelor, The Women Tell All like I'll be doing)
Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally on board as a taster for the maple scone with bacon sprinkled on top! Can I place my order now?

    ReplyDelete

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...