Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Greek Style Baked Turkey Taquitos with Tzatziki Drizzle

Yum
Since flying through Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s, my daughter's and husband’s birthdays, the Super Bowl and now with Valentine’s Day being in a few days, indulging has become the norm around here lately.
Every weekend was a different party or event that was filled with delicious snacks, desserts and cocktails. While I have never been one to jump on the New Year’s resolution bandwagon, I do enjoy feeding my family healthy meals that we don’t have to feel guilty about, so when I saw that Healthy Solutions Spice Blends was putting on a blogger contest looking for healthy and delicious recipes using their spices, I couldn’t wait to try my hand at it! I think I’ve come up with a pretty delicious entry too! Greek Style Baked Turkey Taquitos with Tzatziki Drizzle
 I LOVE taquitos- they’re crunchy, cheesy and are perfectly dippable with queso or Jalapeno Ranch dip. As delicious as they are, when made traditionally, they are not figure friendly….. but I fixed that! These taquitos are still crunchy and cheesy, but are baked and not fried, and served with a low fat but full flavored tzatziki sauce on the side.  I used the Healthy Solutions Spice Blends Pork & Poultry Rub to season my ground turkey and I loved how flavorful it was and knowing that it was free of MSG, fillers and preservatives made it even better!
Greek Style Baked Turkey Taquitos with Tzatziki Drizzle
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 20 ounce package lean ground turkey (85% lean)
1 shallot, minced
½ cup diced sun dried tomatoes
2 cups low fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
15 flour tortillas
 
For the tzatziki drizzle:
1 5.3 oz container plain fat free Greek yogurt
1 shallot, minced
½ cup shredded cucumber
½ teaspoon dried dill
¼ teaspoon salt
5 cups shredded lettuce or salad greens
2/3 cup diced tomato
1/3 cup sliced Kalamata olives
 
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and spray a large cookie sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
In a large skillet, over medium high heat cook the oil, turkey, shallot and spice blend until the meat is browned and cooked through. Set the meat mixture aside to cool slightly. Once the meat has cooled, combine it in a large mixing bowl with the diced sun dried tomatoes and shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Place about 1/3 cup of filling in the middle of each tortilla and roll them up tightly. Place them seam side down on the cookie sheet. Once all the taquitos are rolled, spray the tops with the olive oil cooking spray and place in the oven for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip the taquitos over and bake on the other side for 10 minutes or until crisp and browned.
While the taquitos are baking, make the tzatziki drizzle. Stir together in a small mixing bowl, the Greek yogurt, minced shallot, shredded cucumber, dill, salt and spice blend.
I serve mine over shredded butter lettuce and purple cabbage, but any salad greens would be delicious here. When I’m ready to serve, I top them with the diced tomato and olives. You can drizzle the tzatziki sauce over them, or serve the dip in small cups on the side- that’s how my kids like it! Anything they can dip gets a thumbs up in their eyes!
These freeze beautifully in a zip top bag, so I love making a double batch on the weekends and then when those busy weeknights roll around, all I have to do is heat them up in the toaster oven!
 



2 comments:

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...