Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Gifts of Groceries

Yum
I got lucky this week
Real lucky
A fabulous friend of mine had been given a load of produce from a visit with her in-laws and was nice enough to send me home with a bag full of goodies: enoki mushrooms, tofu, asian pears, oranges and baby bok choy.
Then my equally fabulous foodie mama Emme brought me some patty pan squash, bunches of rosemary and dill, homemade pickles and a jar of peach habanero preserves before leaving for a trip knowing they wouldn't be used before she left.
I had already sent out my weekly menu e mail, but only had one order placed so I was free to play around and try some new and interesting recipes with my loot.
the dill was the first thing I wanted to use up since it had the shortest shelf life, and I came across this recipe from Bobby Flay for a dill vinaigrette and made my own salad with it.

Greek Inspired Feta and Vegetables
in a Dill Vinaigrette  
I really don't know what to call this- I've eaten it as a side salad with baked pork chops, as a salsa with chips and as a delicious topper on flatbread crackers with hummus. It would be great in a pita or tossed into pasta for a light lunch and tastes better the longer it marinates.
2 celery stalks, sliced thinly
3 large raddishes, sliced thinly
1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1 cup peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
1 jalapeno, diced
1 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup minced red onion

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and allow to marinate 1 hour before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...