Sunday, June 12, 2011

Bacon Stuffed Patty Pan Squash

Yum
When my friend Emme dropped off a bag of foodie treats that she was so nice to share at my house the other day, she went through each thing showing me what she brought and then she pulled out two small patty pan squash and said "and good luck with these things cause I've never been able to make them taste good"
 
that sounded like a challenge to me

The first thing I thought of when I saw them was my all time favorite squash from my Pee Paw. I really didn't like yellow squash unless they were Pee Paw's. He would boil the sliced yellow squash and then drain them. While the squash was boiling he would cook bacon and then add onions to it (best smell in the universe in my opinion) and then when the bacon was crisp and the onions were soft he added breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and the squash. 
So simple, but truly delicious. 
My grandfather was a fabulous cook and there are so many wonderful food memories I have of him today. So when I saw these little squash that came with such an underwhelming introduction I knew what to do. Not sure how much more cooking time they would need compared to regular yellow squash, I looked it up and came across this recipe from allrecipes.com
It was almost exactly the same as Pee Paw's squash, but stuffed all the bacon goodness into the squash instead of just sauteing it all together.
the squash was absolutely delicious (as is anything with bacon in it) and I will be making this variation of Pee Paw's recipe again for sure!

Here's what I'm cooking this week:
Monday: Black Bean and Cheese Baked Taquitos with Salsa Verde, Roasted Garlic Zucchini and Fruit Salad
Chocolate Banana Peanut butter Muffins

Wednesday: Spinach Salad, Gazpacho and Parmesan Thyme Shortbreads

Friday: Oven Fried Pork Chop with Mashed Sweet Potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...