Friday, May 13, 2011

Lego Star Wars

Yum
When a friend asked me to make a cake for her son's birthday I was thrilled. I was even more excited when she said it was a Lego Star Wars themed cake. My son is Lego obsessed and I think my family alone kept the company afloat through this recession, especially at Christmas.  I asked the absurdly photogenic birthday boy what his favorite thing was about Star War Legos........his answer was the Death Star. 
No familiar with The Death Star?
Well, neither was I so when I googled it and saw the thing in full force. I was so nervous and wanted it to be just right, realistic enough but still appropriate for a kid's cake and completely edible. I think you can tell by the excitement of his face below that he liked it. It was a vanilla butter cake with vanilla buttercream decorated with candy Legos and Lego Star War figurines. The lettering is fondant that I hand cut and painted with silver luster dust.
 

2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing cake! I'm getting so excited for you to make X's cake this year - we just have to settle on a theme. Here's what we've been throwing around - Tools, Rockets, Trains (again), insects.... don't worry, we'll narrow it down a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohhhh! Those all sound fun, especially bugs and tools ;)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...