Sunday, June 19, 2011

Meatless Monday

Yum
 I want to share with you the meal I had on last week's menu on Monday
Bean and Cheese Taquitos with mango salsa and salsa verde
I served them with a fruit salad and they really were better than I thought they would be! Very crisp from oven baking and easy to make while still being low fat and filling. The fruit salad was a great cooling side and nice to have on these blazing hot afternoons as a snack.
As always I didn't follow recipes exactly, so here's my version of both recipes:
Bean and Cheese Taquitos
adapted from here
1 can  black refried beans
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 1/2 tsp each: cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder
1 tsp hot sauce
3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
about 18 small yellow corn tortillas
cooking spray
sea salt for topping

Heat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
In a bowl, mix the refried beans, black beans, spices and hot sauce.  Mix in the cheese.
Put about two tablespoons of filling lengthwise into a tortilla.  Spread it out into a strip and roll up the tortilla around it.  Place it seam side down on a baking sheet.  Repeat with all of the tortillas.
Spray the tortillas with cooking spray and sprinkle with sea salt.  Bake until the edges are golden brownabout 15 minutes.
Minted Fruit Salad
recipe here
 for the fruit salad I really just cut the syrup recipe in half since you don't use the full amount and I added blackberries to the mix. Since the recipe is generally the same I have attached the link instead of copying it here

Here's what I'll be cooking this week:

Monday: Orange Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin with steamed rice and sauteed garlic spinach

Wednesday: Chicken and Tofu Pad Thai and fruit salad

Friday: Baked Spaghetti with garlic bread
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...