Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Crock Pot Caramelized Fennel and Onion Dip

Yum
Debating on what delicious appetizer to make for Mother's Day?
May I suggest my ultra easy and completely decadent Crock Pot Caramelized Fennel and Onion Dip?
It's so creamy, really rich and disappears quickly. Perfect with thick kettle chips, baguette slices or veggies and you can totally make it ahead if you need to!
 I love my crock pot. I actually have three of them if you want to get technical about it, and I use them all year round. They are an easy (and most of the time) fool proof way to get a delicious meal almost completely hands free while you're busy with other things. I started making caramelized onions in my crock pot years ago when I had a huge costco size bag of  onions to use up and no time to stand over the stove for 45 minutes stirring them. The house smelled absolutely amazing and I did little to no work to get there.
Now, by all means, if you want to take the time to stand at the stove and cook these on low heat for about 30-45 minutes, you absolutely can and forgo the crock pot portion of the recipe. It'll come out just as delicious either way!
Crock Pot Caramelized Fennel and Onion Dip
4 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
4 cups thinly sliced fennel
4 cups thinly sliced onion
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons sugar

3 ounces room temperature cream cheese
1 cup sour cream

Place the butter, olive oil, fennel, onion, salt, pepper and sugar in a crock pot and set on low heat for 8-10 hours. 
Once the onion and fennel are caramelized, pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and allow to cool. 

Once cooled, add the cream cheese and sour cream.

Serve immediately or chill and serve with kettle cooked chips, cut up veggies or baguette slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...