Monday, October 1, 2018

Crock Pot Turkey Carnitas Burrito Bowls with Cilantro Lime Zoodles

Yum
My son's first pick at any fair or carnival or Thanksgiving has been, and will always be the humongous roasted turkey legs. I don't know whether it's the caveman feeling of walking around with that thing in his hand or the crazy cost that you're typically charged for one when at a festival, but he truly loves them. I don't know why it never occurred to me to buy them and make them at home, and now that I have, I can tell you it was WAY easier than I ever expected. Something seemed familiar in my mind as we were chowing down on them - something about the crispy outer edges and the tender fall off the bone meat in the middle.....
Carnitas! Of course! It reminded me of one of our favorite Mexican dishes and I knew turkey carnitas needed to happen soon. 
I'm taking part in Frick's Quality Meats Recipe Challenge and when they sent me their gorgeous Smoked Turkey Drums I was so excited to turn them into this fully loaded carnitas bowl. Instead of Cilantro Lime Rice, like the typical taco joints are serving, I used zucchini noodles. So bonus points for being gluten free, right?

Crock Pot Turkey Carnitas Burrito Bowls with Cilantro Lime Zoodles

Crock Pot Turkey Carnitas
1 cup diced onion
4 cloves garlic
1 cup pineapple orange juice
½ teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
½ cup water

Cilantro Lime Zucchini Noodles
1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil
9 cups spiralized zucchini noodles
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ Tablespoon lime juice
1/3 cup chopped cilantro

Toppings
3/4 cup pico de gallo
1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco
¼ cup sliced pickled jalapenos
1/3 cup julienned radish
1 large lime, cut into wedges
Place the onion, garlic, pineapple orange juice, oregano, cumin, water and Smoked Turkey Drumsticks in a slow cooker on low heat for 6 hours, or until the meat is tender and easily falls of the bone.

Once the drumsticks are ready, set broiler to high heat. Remove the turkey from the crockpot and shred the meat, discarding any bone or skin. Place on a large cookie sheet and broil, just until the edges are crispy, about 2-3 minutes watching closely to prevent burning.

Add the olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Cook the zucchini noodles for 3-5 minutes, or until just tender. Add the salt, lime juice and chopped cilantro. Divide the noodles into 6 serving bowls. Top each bowl with turkey carnitas, pico de gallo, crumbled queso fresco, pickled jalapenos, radishes and lime wedges.

Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.

#fricks #smokedmeats #itsfrickingood

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...