Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Mini-letta Swirls

Yum
I have always liked Muffulettas, and growing up in the New Orleans area, I have had my fair share of them. I'm pretty sure almost every single wedding, shower or party I went to growing up had some form of them served. Whether it was the huge whole loaf version or the cute little mini ones, they were always available. It combines so many things I love together- carbs, cheese, salty briny olives and a few delicious Italian cold cuts. It wasn't until I was in college that I had my first toasted Muffuletta and ever since then I don't want mine any other way!
When brainstorming what I could make for an appetizer recipe contest, it wasn't hard to decide on this version of one of my favorite sandwiches
The cheese gets melty and gooey, the bread is traded up for puff pastry, and with the olive salad as a topper instead of just an afterthought, I can load mine with as much as I want!
  Mini-letta Swirls
1 Tablespoon flour
4 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 17.3 ounce package Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed
12 ounces provolone cheese slices
6 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
8 ounces thinly sliced salami
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/3 cup black olives, chopped
1/3 cup green olives, chopped
2/3 cup Giardiniera, chopped
2 Tablespoons Italian dressing
 
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Sprinkle the flour and sesame seeds evenly on a flat surface such as wooden board or countertop. Unfold each sheet of puff pastry onto the flour and sesame seed mixture and gently press so the seeds adhere to the dough.  Layer each sheet evenly with the provolone, prosciutto and salami. Sprinkle each evenly with the Italian seasoning. Starting at the long side of the dough, roll up like a jelly roll. Tuck the ends under to seal. Using a serrated knife, slice each pastry roll into 12 slices and place, cut side up, on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until browned and golden.
While the muffuletta swirls are baking, make the olive salad topping. In a small bowl, stir together the chopped black olives, green olives, Giardiniera and Italian dressing. Serve on the side as a topping for the swirls.
 

2 comments:

  1. You know Lauren, I have never had one of those sandwiches, but I just started liking olives! Looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love them Biz!! Let me know if you try one soon ;)

      Delete

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...