Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mounds Bars

Yum
I made these for bunco the other night
I needed something easy to make and relatively quick
I cut the squares and arranged them on my platter and left the rest covered and put away and rushed out the door
I saved some of them so I could go back the next day and get a good picture of them
you know; a drool-worhty picture of the side angle showing the rich dense brownie layer and gooey coconut almond topping
well, I'd love to show you that right now but they're all gone
Sorry, but they really were that good
You'll just have to make them yourself so you can see it in person
Mounds Bars
adapted from here

1 box brownie mix
Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on brownie mix box (for cake-like brownies) 
3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup toasted coconut
1/2 cup granola
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vegetable oil

Pre-heat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 pan with non stick cooking spray. Follow directions on the brownie mix box to prepare cake-like brownies and bake for 5 minutes less than the directions call for. In a medium mixing bowl combine both coconuts, granola, almond extract and condensed milk. Mix together until all ingredients are coated and spread on top of the brownies. Bake for 10-15 minutes and allow to cool completely. One the brownies are cool, mix the chocolate chips and oil in a small bowl and microwave until melted, stirring about every 30 seconds. Drizzle chocolate over the brownie bars. I found it a lot easier to slice the bars after placing them in the fridge for 20-30 minutes first.

here's what I'll be making this week:
Monday: Chili with  Corn and Hatch Chile Scones from my friend Emme at The Kid Can Cook
                  
Wednesday:   Shrimp Creole with Steamed Rice and Roasted Garlic Asparagus
                         Caramel Apple Muffins

Friday:  Creamy Chicken Marsala Pasta served with garlic bread

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...