Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Vanilla Malt O Meal Griddle Cakes

Yum
As a kid pancakes for breakfast were a special weekend thing
It's not like my mom had time to whip up a batch before school every morning.
Today, being a mom of 2 little ones myself, I don't have time for that either during the morning "let's get out of the door before I'm late again and your teacher thinks I'm incapable of being on time" rush.
I need something easy and quick, but I also know the importance of a healthy breakfast to start the kids (and me) off on a good foot.
That's why I love making a big batch of things like healthy pancakes or muffins and freezing them over the weekend so when the morning rush hits all I have to do is grab it and go.
I saw a recipe recently that I thought I could easily change up to be more healthy and my kids inhaled them. Literally. 
My son ate 5 in one sitting and asked for more as a snack later on!
They have a delicious nuttiness to them and instead of drowning them in syrup we spread a little Caramel Apple Butter on them.
You must try these, I promise you will be glad you did!
Vanilla Malt O Meal Griddle Cakes
recipe adapted from here
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup plain Malt O Meal 
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup 2% milk
1/2 cup fat free vanilla greek yogurt
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Pre-heat a large griddle pan on medium high heat. (I use an electric griddle and set it to 350)
In a large bowl combine the flours, malt o meal, sugar, baking powder and soda and salt and whisk together. In a separate small bowl combine the yogurt, oil, egg and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry bowl and stir only until just combined being careful not to over mix. Lightly oil griddle once it is hot and spoon 1/3 cup scoops of batter on the griddle. Flip when you see bubbles forming on the top of the griddle cakes and when the bottom looks nicely browned. Serve immediately or allow to cool and store in a ziptop bag in the freezer to enjoy later.
Makes about 20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...