Sunday, September 11, 2011

Using up Odds and Ends

Yum
I don't know why, but I really thought that when school started life would slow down a little.
OK, you can stop laughing at me now.
I really expected that once summer was over, starting a regular schedule would help with the hectic pace of life. Well, I was wrong.
Aside from school, playdates, swim lessons and day to day life to keep up with, August is a big recipe contest month and I have been busy creating recipes to try to win two really big prizes. So my time in the kitchen lately has been all about burgers and sandwiches. 
After creating, cooking, tasting, tweaking and sending in 12 recipes I had a fridge full of odds and ends. If you're making that many different burgers and sandwiches you end up with small amounts of random ingredients and I am not one to waste good food so I have been trying out a few recipes I've had saved to use it all up in a delicious way.
What do you do with a small hunk of blue cheese, two tomatoes and a couple slices of bacon?
Instead of slicing them in half I did 4 thick slices from each tomato
I didn't have the buttery crackers so I used panko instead, and I used half the amount of butter it called for mixed with a little olive oil and they were so good!

To go with the gorgeous broiled tomatoes I made a green salad and this Spinach and Feta Clafoutis from Closet Cooking. If you've never visited this blog before, please do, it is one of my favorites!

Here's what I'll be cooking this week:
Monday: Green Chile and Lime Chicken and Rice Soup
Wednesday:  Spinach and Artichoke Manicotti
Sticky Nutty Whole Wheat Biscuits
Friday: I'll be hosting my bunco group, so check back to see what yummy snacks I serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...