Sunday, September 18, 2011

Chili Two Ways

Yum
It actually rained yesterday!
Yes, water fell from the sky in Austin 
My kids and dog look confused to hear the thunder and my son came to find me and ask me what that sound was
Due to the extreme heat this summer I actually was doubting fall would ever get here
Now I'm pushing for it- I lit my pumpkin candle the other day, I wore my new favorite sweatshirt that I got for the cooler months coming up (I started sweating after thirty minutes, but at least I got to wear it) and I've been craving warm fall dishes
I made a delicious chili and to go with it I made these Hatch Chili Scones form my dear friend Emme
They were a delicious dunker to go with the spicy chili, you should go make some for yourself!
After the scones were gone I still had some chili leftover and I used it as a topper for some delicious Hasselback potatoes
Hasselback Potatoes are one of those things I've seen everywhere and just never got around to making until now. They are super simple and completely delicious. They were great topped with chili, and would also be divine paired with a grilled juicy pork chop. 
I even made an extra one, chopped it up the next morning and sauteed it with some breakfast sausage for an amazing hash!
To make some for yourself, heat your oven to 425
Scrub your potatoes clean and cut slits almost to the bottom without cutting completely through across the whole potato
I drizzled mine with olive oil and then sprinkled them liberally with salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika but you can use whatever spices you'd like. I think I will use Herbs de Provence the next time I make these
Bake for 40 minutes or until the skin is crisp and the flesh is tender

Here's what I'm cooking this week:
Monday: Thai Coconut Soup- tofu, peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms in a Thai coconut broth
Whole Wheat Sticky Buns
Wednesday: Roasted Vegetable Enchilada Casserole and Refried Beans
Friday: Spaghetti and Meat Sauce with Garlic Bread

1 comment:

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...