Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Fennel Apple Bisque with Crispy Shallots

Yum
Do you like fennel?
I really love it and I think it's one of the most underused veggies out there. It's always in season and not very expensive either. Shaved super thinly in a salad, roasted with Parmesan, caramelized and added to bolognese...I could think of a million ways where fennel just adds a certain subtle sweetness that can bring a dish a notch up instantly.
When I saw the call for Simply Wholesome Foods Applesauce Contest I knew I wanted to try my hand at savory dishes to use up their delicious applesauce, and this was the first entry I came up with. It is the most silky smooth soup ever and even though the ingredient list is short, the flavor this bisque packs is massive! Roasting the fennel creates this amazing caramelized deep flavor and if you're pressed for time, this step can totally be done ahead.
This Bisque is Beignet approved
My little kitchen helper is always ready for clean up duty!
Fennel Apple Bisque with Crispy Shallots
1 large fennel bulb 
3 ½ Tablespoon olive oil
1 small shallot, sliced thinly
¾ cup Simply Wholesome Foods Touch of Honey Applesauce
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup half and half

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the fennel bulb into 1 inch cubes and reserve the leafy fennel fronds for later use. Toss the cubed fennel in 1 ½ Tablespoons of the oil and roast for 20-25 minutes.

Heat the remaining olive oil in a small soup pot over medium heat. Add the sliced shallot and sauté until brown and crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove the browned shallot from the oil and set aside.
Add the roasted fennel, applesauce, salt, pepper and half and half to a blender and puree until smooth. Pour the mixture back in the pan with the remaining oil used to crisp the shallots and turn the heat to medium. Stir constantly until soup is heated through, about 5 minutes. 
Ladle soup into bowls, garnish with fennel fronds and crisp shallots and serve immediately. 

2 comments:

  1. I am going to have to give fennel another try - its been years since I tried it, but this looks delish!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...