Tuesday, December 30, 2014

It's the Most Magical time of the Year!

Yum
Have you ever had a vacation so amazing and wonderful that when you got home you were in a funk because all you want to do is go back? That's how I feel right now staring at my gigantic pile of laundry and suitcases.
On Christmas Eve morning, Louis and I woke up ridiculously early, showered and got dressed, packed last minute items and then put a robe on so the kids wouldn't know we were already ready. Then we went into their rooms and told them we heard a lot of noise downstairs and the Elves had woken us up so we all needed to go downstairs and check it out
I think they were both still asleep and didn't really understand what was going on at the time but they threw on their shirts and away we went
We got in our car and headed to the airport, got on the shuttle bus, then on a plane then on another shuttle bus, then to our rental car and finally arrived at the Paradise Pier Hotel
It was all decked out for Christmas and I loved that the hotel was a 5 minute walk away from the parks. Once you get to the property you don't need any shuttle busses or car rides to get where you want to be!
We were dying to get into the park and start our day, so we settled in pretty quickly and walked over to Disneyland
I know for some people, Disneyland or World is the last place they want to be, but for me, I couldn't think of anything better to do with my kids. I think them being 8 and 5 was the best possible age to go! No strollers and diapers to worry with, they are big enough to walk on their own everywhere we needed to be, and yet they were still young enough to be in wonder and awe of everything the parks had to offer. There were many times where they asked "is that real?!" on a ride. I can't count the number of times while we were walking to our next ride, or waiting in line to meet a new character where one of them would just look up and say "you're the best mom in the whole widest world" or "this is my favorite-est day, mama".
Priceless moments that I will never forget.
I suppose I love Disney for all those reasons and the fact that, while there, I can say yes so much more than I can at home. Everything is geared for them and there's not much that isn't a possibility while you're there.
You want to meet your favorite character? OK
You want to be the driver of a race car while I sit back and enjoy the ride? Sure
You want amazing fireworks while eating cotton candy every night? Done
Magical
Doesn't everyone take goofy selfies while spinning on the Teacups?
No?
Oh well, on to the food!
Disney is so good about paying attention to the tiniest details and food in the parks is no exception
As soon as we got to Main Street we grabbed and inhaled corndogs. It was the best freaking corndog I've ever had! When I say we inhaled them, I really mean it so there is no picture proof to show you, but I promise it was great!
Louis' first request was a Mickey Bar. I don't know why they are SO good!
After a long day of travel and then the excitement of finally being in the park we were starving for dinner. The first night in the parks I made reservations at the River Belle Terrace Restaurant. It's one of the original restaurants in the park and it offers the Fantasmic Dining package, which means when you reserve a table for dinner you are automatically given a pass for a reserved seating area to view the Fantasmic show that night.
The dinner is a 3 course meal and your view for the night can't be beat while watching the Mark Twain Riverboat paddle down the Rivers of America
Louis and I started with the Creamy Corn Chowder with Bacon and Chives and the kids got veggies and ranch. It may have been the fact that I was starving, but I practically licked my bowl clean. The soup was awesome! Unfortunately I can't say the same for our entrees.  Louis got the Slow-roasted New York Strip and Cajun Shrimp Skewer with Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables, and Red Wine Reduction. I got the Hand-tossed Cavatappi Pasta Primavera in Garlic Cream Sauce with Seasonal Vegetables. Both dishes were literally just ok, I would not recommend either of them, but I think my pasta was marginally better than Louis' dish. I would have been happier with a corndog.
Marshall tried the Grilled Chicken with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Seasonal Vegetables but didn't finish most of it and Brianna got the Macaroni & Cheese with Seasonal Vegetables and Grapes but they both had hacked into everything before I could get a pic of their plates.
We ended the meal with Confetti Cupcake with Chocolate Frosting for the kids, Caramel Apple Pie with Streusel for Louis and River Belle's Chocolate Mousse Cake with Raspberry Sauce for me
Before we were served our dessert the kids were falling asleep at the table. I knew they wouldn't make it another 2 hours in the park, so I spoke with our waitress and they were so understanding and nice she printed me new passes to use on another night for the Fantasmic show! We went back to the room, put the kids in bed and they literally passed out in 2 seconds! Louis walked downstairs while I was bathing the kids and brought me this
Best. Husband. Ever.
We clinked our neon plastic glasses and couldn't wait to wake up on Christmas morning and do it all over again!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet and Spicy Coconut Shrimp Tropical Flatbread

My second entry for Sam's Fresh Salsa Blogger contest only has 8 ingredients, takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to make an...